The deadliest outbreak of the Ebola virus recorded is attacking Liberia. Ebola is an infectious and fatal disease that takes the life of approx. 80-90% of the people who contract the virus.
Ebola is gaining strength every day in Liberia and the longer it stays the faster the death toll will rise. Co – discoverer of the Ebola Virus Professor Peter Piot states two ways that we can combat the virus.
“The combination of quarantine of those with the disease and relatives to make sure they are not spreading the infection, and community mobilization. Information can save lives here. The fear of the virus and running away from health services contributes to perpetuating the spread of the Ebola virus.”
The President of Liberia has declared this a “National Emergency”
Over the last 7 years L.A.C.E.S. has built strong relationships with 4 communities throughout Liberia. In response to the outbreak we will combat Ebola through community mobilitzation. Information will save lives.
Some of the communities we work with are situated in the Hot Zones (were Ebola cases have been reported), and L.A.C.E.S. will respond by using our existing network to carry out awareness activities. We estimate that through our activities at least 1500 people will have heard the following:
- What is Ebola and how does it spread?
- What are the symptoms of Ebola?
- Prevention of Ebola and what to do if you get sick.
HOW WE WILL SPREAD AWARENESS
- Train community leaders and coaches using materials provided by the Ministry of Health in Liberia.
- Work with L.A.C.E.S. coaches and staff to carry out house to house Ebola awareness starting with the homes of the children we are working with.
- Hold community wide awareness events. During these events our children will perform dramas on how Ebola spreads, we will pass out educational materials, and do demonstrations on how to prevent Ebola.
We are grateful to share that currently none of our children, coaches, or staff have contracted Ebola however they are at risk for exposure so prayers for safety are appreciated.
Thank you for your commitment to our children,
Founder of L.A.C.E.S.